Organics/ Backyard Composting/ Yard Waste
Summer 2022 Backyard Compost Bin Sale-
The next round of backyard compost bin sales is open! Visit https://enviroworld.us/ontariocountyny to make a purchase. Make sure you complete a purchase AND register for a pick up date and time.
Pick-up dates will be Saturday August 13 from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM and Monday August 15 from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM- registration required.
Did you purchase a backyard compost bin? Check out this informational booklet.
It’s easy to recycle organic materials such as yard clippings and kitchen scraps—and the benefits are huge. And the best way to divert organics from your waste stream is to compost in your backyard! In fact yard waste is banned from landfills but that's not the only reason to put it to work in your backyard.
If you’re already a backyard composter than you’re probably already making good use of any extra food waste and know the amazing benefits of composting.
If you aren’t a composter here are some reasons that you might want to start:
- You can reduce your household garbage by around 20% which will reduce odor-causing organic waste at the landfill.
- You’ll save money. Less waste in your dumpster will cut down your trash bill.
- It’s great for your plants. You’ll end up nutrient-dense soil-like material for use in your garden to make your landscape healthier and more beautiful
- It has a positive impact on our environment. You’ll cut back on your carbon footprint due to a reduction in waste and resource consumption like water and fuel.
- It’s easy!
Looking for other ideas to compost at home?
Rather drop-off your collected organic waste at a site to be disposed of?
- Some municipal transfer stations are beginning to offer collection opportunities for organics/food waste.
- Many municipal transfer stations accept yard waste—usually from residents only—and they grind it up and offer back to anyone in the area who wants fresh mulch or compost.
- Check to see if your town has an Organics Drop Off Program and find out where you can dispose of yard waste.